CUSTOMER: HYWEL DDA UNIVERSITY HEALTH BOARD
PROJECT DETAILS: BRONGLAIS HOSPITAL, ABERYSTWYTH BOILERS AND CHP
NIFES SERVICES: M&E DESIGN, CDM CO-ORDINATOR & PROJECT MANAGEMENT
Bronglais Hospital had old and unreliable steam boilers that need to be replaced. In addition, a new extension to the hospital required a significant increase in heat output. Acknowledging the complexity of the problems they sought M&E Engineers with a solid track record in large steam systems and experience of Acute Hospitals.
This was a project with multiple challenges, including:
- The need to keep the hospital operating at all times
- A requirement to maximise operating efficiency
- The boilerhouse location, in a restricted basement
- A constrained and sloping site in a remote location
- The presence of asbestos, not all documented
- Passing valves and problematic condensate returns
- The poor condition of the existing chimney
- Planning Permission difficulties
- Problems connecting to the gas and power grids
We began by analysing the site energy use and concluded that a CHP could be installed to satisfy the base electrical load, with the heating and hot water needs being met by a combination of low-pressure hot water and steam plant; the latter also supplying the autoclaves. Following comprehensive surveys and detailed design it was concluded that a phased approach was essential, with oil-fired temporary steam boilers to carry the load. Through careful planning and a very hands-on approach to the project, all of the problems were overcome.
The vast experience and pragmatism of our CDM Co-ordinator was enormously beneficial in dealing safely with the restricted site and presence of live steam and asbestos.
Despite the site constraints the client is delighted with the quality of the
completed installations and the energy cost and maintenance cost reductions
they are enjoying.
Our robust cost management throughout the project also delivered extremely
good value for Hywel Dda.
Client delighted with the quality and the savings