CLIENT: Ealing Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
PROJECT DETAILS: Legionella Control Support
NIFES ROLE: Services Support for the Control of Legionella bacteria in water systems
Ealing Hospital is a large acute hospital sited in, Southall London. It has many complicated and integrated water systems, which fall under the required control of legislation and the Healthcare Technical Memorandums (HTM’S). The hospital provides services for a wide spectrum of patients from high dependency; immunosuppressed to day patients and A&E services. The water systems require an assessment of risk and an application of control.
NIFES initially quantified the systems at Ealing hospital which fell under the control of legislation and the Healthcare Technical Memorandums (HTM’S). Detailed schematic drawings were produced enabling ourselves to conduct a risk assessment of all services, from the hospitals cold water inlet to all outlets.
The risk assessment took into consideration all requirements of BS: 8580, HSE’s – L8 and those specific to Healthcare organisations. The findings of the assessment were delivered in a detailed document, highlighting all categories of risk, remedial actions required and time scales; these formed the basis of the now adopted Estates Action Plan.
A Written Scheme of Control was produced, enabling Ealing Hospital to manage their water systems; this has been incorporated into their daily PPM schedules. The Health & Safety implications of the systems maintenance, was also assessed and the risks associated highlighted.
Ealing Hospital now has:
- Upto date schematic drawings of the installed water systems and its associated components
- A detailed risk assessment of all water systems and all associated components.
- Highlighted risks, categorised with apportioned timescales and ratings
- An Estates Action Plan, showing all risks found and remedial work required to mitigate each risk
- A Written Scheme of Control enabling Ealing Hospital, management of their water systems
- Highlighted risks, of the maintenance activities associated with their water systems
Ealing Hospital NHS Foundation Trust; now have confidence & direction in the control of Legionella bacteria.