Compartmentation Surveys and Fire Door Inspections
Fire compartmentation strategy is required to prevent the spread of fire and smoke and subdivide buildings into manageable areas of risk, ensuring each area has adequate fire escape routes and appropriately maintained facilities for fire prevention.
To meet the legal requirements of the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005, building owners and occupiers must ensure that the fire compartmentation in their buildings is robust and being adequately managed and maintained.
Compartmentation forms a critical part of the fire strategy for a building and is an integral part of the fire risk assessment process. Proper compartmentation and fire separation strategies can be one of the most effective methods of securing your property and its occupants.
What is involved?
NIFES has extensive experience of the challenges faced when carrying out these types of surveys in new builds, existing properties, and refurbished buildings. Having completed fire door surveys and compartmentation assessments in NHS hospitals, care homes and schools, we are experienced in conducting inspections in a discreet and professional manner.
The actual performance of an installed fire door can vary significantly due to a wide variety of factors, including the door, frame, hardware, intumescent strips and smoke seals.
NIFES standard fire compartmentation surveys typically cover:
- Inspection of the condition of existing fire compartments.
- Assessing the effectiveness of the sealing of wall/soffit interfaces.
- Checking for the presence of damage to existing fire compartmentation lines which may cause reduced effectiveness.
- Inspection of any unprotected structural framework and steelwork which may impact the effectiveness of fire compartments.
- Materials assessment of dry lined walls whose construction forms part of the fire compartmentation.
- Material and installation assessment of existing service penetration seals.
- Assessment of any other specific issues relating to the fire compartmentation, such as equipment present and access requirements.
NIFES fire engineering consultants are specialists in fire compartmentation assessment, surveying premises for existing fire compartmentation, ensuring it is suitable for the circumstances of use, and where required, providing further recommendations for fire separation strategies.
NIFES teams of fire engineers have the expertise to prepare fire strategy reports for all types of buildings. Our reports cover:
- Establish the location and period of resistance required for the Compartmentation strategy in your building(s).
- Conduct inspections of compartmentation including fire doors.
- Prepare user friendly schedules of works, drawings and specifications for contractors to price against and implement work.
- Provide on-going support to the contractor.
- Conducting inspection of completed works to allow sign off, payment and hand over.
In addition to carrying out fire compartmentation assessments and fire door surveys, NIFES have the skills and experience to help you create a comprehensive fire compartmentation strategy which will ultimately protect your people, your property and your organisation. NIFES provide a strategic and practical approach to health and safety management in general, covering both short and long term objectives.
MID STAFFORDSHIRE NHS FOUNDATION TRUST – FIRE COMPARTMENTATION STUDY
NIFES were commissioned by the mid-Staffordshire NHS Foundation Trust to undertake a Fire Compartmentation Study in Stafford and Cannock Hospitals. This established the current levels of compliance to prioritise capital and maintenance investment. Read More >>