Dementia Friendly Healthcare Environments
Why do we need an assessment?
Supporting people who are living with dementia is one of the biggest challenges that our health and social care system will face in the 21st-century. There is rightly much emphasis placed upon how we deliver care, but the environment within which we deliver care, can also make an enormous difference to the quality of people’s lives. There is clear evidence to show that if you get the environment right, this has benefits not only for people who use care services, but also for their families, friends and staff.
What needs to be done?
The HNS have produced a Health Building Note; HBN: 08-02 (2015), this provides a framework for providing a: Dementia Friendly Health and Social Care Environment. Within this document an assessment tool has been provided that gives “Best Practice Guidance” that will provide improved outcome for people living with Dementia.
This tool is called; Design Principles and lays out the rational and requirements for good Dementia Care; these 12 principles are:
- Provide a safe environment
- Provide optimum levels of stimulation
- Provide optimum lighting and contrast
- Provide a non-institutional scale and environment
- Support orientation
- Support way-finding and navigation
- Provide access to nature and the outdoors
- Promote engagement with friends, relatives and staff
- Provide good visibility and visual access
- Promote privacy, dignity and independence
- Promote physical and meaningful activities
- Support diet, nutrition and hydration
How can NIFES help?
NIFES Consulting Group can undertake an assessment of the Health and Social Care Environment based on the HBN 08-02’s 12 Design Principles and provide a report in many formats such as: Spreadsheet, Word Document or integrated in to a Maintenance Database; such as MICAD. Remedial actions to comply with Guidance, with costs, risk priorities and an action plan can also be provided as part of the assessment.
For more information, please contact:
Tel: 0845 168 684
Mob: 07786 277479